This recipe from chef Lewis De Haas of Crispin was made for Citizens of Soil. He continues to bring us bright, colourful meals that really speak to the season.
This dish is no exception, with delicate flavours and spring veg making its way to tables now. Here, Lewis gives us a classic egg & asparagus pairing, welcoming the hyper-seasonal green vegetable in a fresh combination which brings in a nice zestiness from the lemon and an indulgent, richness from the egg and EVOO. Sprinkle with some edible flowers for that *chef's kiss* look...
Here's the method:
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and blanch for 2 minutes in salted, boiling water.
- When cooked place the asparagus in iced water to cool.
- When cooled, slice the asparagus, place in a mixing bowl and mix with the crab meat, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange on a plate and finely grate the boiled egg white and yolk over the top.
- Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Ways to make your own:
- Drop in some edible flowers for colour and freshness.
- Swap the crab meat for pulled chicken or even jackfruit to go veggie!
- Peas and broad beans could work here.
You may also like...
Greek lemon & egg chicken soup
Called avgolemono (ah-vgo-le-mono), this Greek soup is a knock-out in the winter and can be made in less than 30 minutes. The combination of simply chicken broth, lemon, and egg makes a cream-like soup that’s easy to build upon with more vegetables and herbs, like winter cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and parsley. File this under peak nourishment. Are you feeling under the weather? Have this soup. Just had a baby? Have this soup. Trying to get pregnant? Have this soup. Not feeling great? Have...
Polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil. Everything you need to know.
There’s a lot of talk lately about polyphenols and the important role they play in our overall health. And while they exist in loads of plants, there are some powerful ones specific to virgin olive oils which help to explain why it's been considered a superfood since antiquity. Perhaps it’s spearheaded by a wider post-Covid health movement, or the “Zoe-fication” from new innovations and research in the nutrition space, or maybe it’s just that we’re forever chasing the fountain of youth… What...
Spinach and feta galette
It's pancake day, but we're making it Mediterranean style. This version goes green with spinach, courgette, and feta wrapped up in buckwheat flower with some drizzles of the good stuff. Just in time for Valentine's, fall in love with this gorgeous crepe from our favourite chef of the seas—Elleni Katalanos (the Green Greek Chef). Her thoughtful, colourful way of balancing nutrition and flavour never disappoints. They've been testing different styles in their kitchen this month, but this straw...