It takes only minutes to make and yet it's an indulgent starter or easy lunch. We've gone completely vegan with this one, but lush normal burrata over asparagus with a gremolata of the season's best herbs is a nice one to have in your back pocket.
Beautiful British asparagus has a short season, but that's what makes it special. Have it NOW with simple flavours that let its green notes sing. Here, we paired it with an herby citrus sauce and a bonkers vegan cheese. You heard right. We tested out our pal's at JULIENNE BRUNO's Burrella™ and can actually say it's a game-changer in the dairy-free space.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 8-10 asparagus spears
- Citizens of Soil extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ball of Burrella™ (or normal burrata)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh mint
- Sea salt & pepper
Here's the method:
- Finely chop the mint (or herb of your choice), zest the lemon, grate the garlic, and put it all in a bowl. You've now made gremolata. BRAVO!
- Slice off the rough ends of the asparagus and put the spears on an oven pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic.
- Roll them around so they're all coated, then top with salt & pepper.
- Roast under the grill for a quick 2-4 minutes.
- Plate with the asparagus on bottom, pop the cheese ball on top, and spoon over the gremolata mix.
- Drizzle more EVOO and serve immediately.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Grill the asparagus on the barbecue.
- Pep it up with some fresh red chilli slices.
- Pistachios or pine nuts wouldn't be nuts here.
- Try different herb combos (basil, parsley) or go full chimichurri.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.