It takes only minutes to make and yet it's an indulgent starter or easy lunch. We've gone completely vegan with this one, but lush normal burrata over asparagus with a gremolata of the season's best herbs is a nice one to have in your back pocket.
Beautiful British asparagus has a short season, but that's what makes it special. Have it NOW with simple flavours that let its green notes sing. Here, we paired it with an herby citrus sauce and a bonkers vegan cheese. You heard right. We tested out our pal's at JULIENNE BRUNO's Burrella™ and can actually say it's a game-changer in the dairy-free space.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 8-10 asparagus spears
- Citizens of Soil extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ball of Burrella™ (or normal burrata)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh mint
- Sea salt & pepper
Here's the method:
- Finely chop the mint (or herb of your choice), zest the lemon, grate the garlic, and put it all in a bowl. You've now made gremolata. BRAVO!
- Slice off the rough ends of the asparagus and put the spears on an oven pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic.
- Roll them around so they're all coated, then top with salt & pepper.
- Roast under the grill for a quick 2-4 minutes.
- Plate with the asparagus on bottom, pop the cheese ball on top, and spoon over the gremolata mix.
- Drizzle more EVOO and serve immediately.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Grill the asparagus on the barbecue.
- Pep it up with some fresh red chilli slices.
- Pistachios or pine nuts wouldn't be nuts here.
- Try different herb combos (basil, parsley) or go full chimichurri.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
World's best kept secret: Garlic confit with extra virgin olive oil
A secret condiment that adds beautiful flavour to anything you make? This is it, folks. After a long time of roasting in olive oil, garlic gets tender and flavourful, slightly sweeter and less pungent than its raw version. It makes for a perfect, homemade condiment and spread. And once you make a big batch of it, pop in in an air-tight jar and enjoy for up to a month! You are likely to find yourself adding it to anything you can think of! Some of the favourite ways we have used it include:...
Spring crab, asparagus, & egg salad
This recipe from chef Lewis De Haas of Crispin was made for Citizens of Soil. He continues to bring us bright, colourful meals that really speak to the season. This dish is no exception, with delicate flavours and spring veg making its way to tables now. Here, Lewis gives us a classic egg & asparagus pairing, welcoming the hyper-seasonal green vegetable in a fresh combination which brings in a nice zestiness from the lemon and an indulgent, richness from the egg and EVOO. Sprinkle wi...
Introducing Marianna & our new oil from the Peloponnese
This new drop of outstanding extra virgin olive oil, now live in more than 150 Waitrose stores around the country, is a whole new oil from a whole new region for us. And we just can’t wait to share it with you... At Citizens of Soil, we source small-batch extra virgin olive oils from women across the Mediterranean who are farming in a more sustainable way. We’re trying to not only to excite people around olive oils—but also champion the farmers that do them right. And then expand with more f...