This recipe is our take on a Catalan classic. El Bulli's book "From The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià" put this basic snack on the culinary stage. Simple, and yet surprisingly indulgent. Here, we jazz it up slightly with a little heat...
"Pa amb xocolata, oli i sal", or just bread with chocolate, olive oil and salt, can be made for a kid's afternoon snack, a late-night treat, or—as we'll be doing this weekend—a lazy breakfast alongside a flat white.
El Bulli's style is the simple three ingredient mix, but there's some optional extras that can warm it up.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 60 grams dark chocolate, 60% cocoa
- 2 slices from your favourite loaf
- 2-4 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Optional: a pinch of cinnamon (typical of most things in Greece and Sicily for that matter), and/or a tsp of cocoa nibs or chilli flakes
Here's the method:
- Preheat the oven or broiler to around 165°C. (You can also do this in a toaster if you're feeling lazy, but there's something about toasting it in the oven or stove-top which always tastes nicer).
- Grate the chocolate onto a plate with one of the smaller grates you have on hand.
- Toast the bread on a baking sheet under the broiler until golden on both sides (or your toaster).
- Spoon the grated chocolate all over the top of the toast. It'll start to melt immediately.
- Pour the olive oil over the chocolate, then sprinkle with the salt flakes and cinnamon or any extras.
It's that basic, but oh so satisfying.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
9 Ways To Be The Perfect Guest
The internet is brimming with manuals and step-by-step guides promising the elusive title of the perfect host. Yet, it’s the guests who hold the key to a successful evening. Remember: never arrive empty-handed, always leave on time, and you'll be sure to secure the next invite. A dinner party is a performance of sorts. Even the most nonchalant ‘Oh, I’m just going to throw something together’ evenings demand meticulous planning. You step into a spotless home, greeted by a beaming couple, and ...
Is the Viral Lemon Olive Oil Elixir Really Worth the Hype?
A TikTok trend celebrating the Mediterranean diet and promising a healthier you. But does it deliver? Autumn’s arrival brings a recurring desire for self-improvement. As the leaves fall, we all seem to echo a familiar battle cry—the pursuit of healthier versions of ourselves. Some seek to eat better, others commit to more exercise, and a few even immerse themselves in an extravagantly-priced juice cleanse. Within the world of nutrition, the villains are ever-changing: one day it’s fat, the ...