They say that the best way to someone’s heart is through their stomach. So if you were looking to treat someone special in your life (or just yourself!)—this chocolate olive oil cake is the way to go.
It is fluffy, yet indulgent. The well-known taste of chocolate sponge pairs beautifully with our Greek olive oil, making it a very delicious dessert.
Inspired by Nigella's now famous recipe, this version comes to us from our friends at Montezuma's, who happen to be making some of the most delicious chocolate out there...
Here's the method:
- Heat your oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate, whisk in the oil, and then half of the sugar.
- Stir in the ground almonds, sea salt, and egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites and the remaining sugar with an electric whisk until the whites are no longer clear and resemble soft peaks.
- With a big metal spoon, add a large spoonful of the egg mixture into the chocolate mix, then fold in the rest slowly, trying not to knock any air out.
- Spoon the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes. The cake will be done when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least an hour before carefully removing it.
- Place onto your serving dish before dusting with icing sugar.
- Enjoy with an extra drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Dusting it with dark cocoa powder instead.
- Chopping up nuts on top like almonds.
- Dolloping crème fraîche on top.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
Female-led lifestyle brands that should be on your radar
From skincare and food to markets and tech, we’re celebrating Women’s Month by showcasing some of the businesses you should be backing at home. Every year, International Women’s Day seems to gather more traction. From a single day to a month-long focus on our hard-earned history, the 2023 theme tackles the concept of why being fair is not enough. We tend to interpret “fair treatment” as equality—everyone getting exactly the same thing. But that would assume everyone begins in the same place...
Why we source from female farmers
Our extra virgin olive oils come from women across the Mediterranean, but what's the reason for that and why are we building a community that champions female producers? To be honest, it all happened quite organically. We didn't set out to only work with women, but it just so happened that our first oil came from our friend Maria in Crete. We also happen to be a female-owned business here in the UK, with me (👋 Sarah) doing our sourcing. As we grew and realised we needed more oil than Maria...
Forget milk. Put olive oil in your coffee.
What's all the hype about olive oil in coffee? This health trend has long been popular as a nutritional hit in the morning, but now it's gone mainstream with celebrities like Beyoncé and chains like Starbucks getting involved. Brace yourselves, folks. Your next coffee order might just be café au...oil? We're no stranger to sipping on olive oil. You might remember our January resolution to take a spoonful of EVOO every morning. And while "bullet-proof" coffee with fats like butter have be...