Though the pairing ice cream with extra virgin olive oil might sound strange at first—it is the BEST THING EVER. The olive oil makes the ice cream somehow even more creamy, smooth, and decadent.
We've been singing the praises of this combo for a while now, and testing in loads of ways. Typically this has been some store-bought vanilla ice cream with some sea salt flakes over the top. We've also tried it with a range of Hackney Gelato, and even gone vegan. Like magic, the texture of the olive oil takes your standad vegan ice cream to new lush heights.
But then the absolute dream-team that is Head Chef James Toth and the insanely-talented Pastry Chef Laura Petersen from Hackney's Michelin-starred Cornerstone gifted us with this very special recipe.
Here they detail how to make olive oil ice cream from scratch using our single estate EVOO from Crete just like they do at Cornerstone.
And while it might require a little bit more effort than picking up a tub of ice cream at a local grocer, this tastes worlds better and should become a staple of your next dinner party—regardless of the season!
Here's the method:
- In a pan, bring the milk to a simmer with the glucose.
- Whisk the yolks with the sugar together in a bowl.
- Once the milk has simmered, pour it onto the egg yolk mix and whisk until combined.
- Pour the custard back into a clean pan and cook until it coats the back of a spoon. (Exactly 82 degrees celsius if you have a probe.)
- Take off the heat.
- In a slow and steady stream pour in the olive oil while whisking the mix and add the salt.
- Strain through a sieve to make the mix super smooth.
- Churn in an ice cream machine for the best results. Alternatively, freeze in a container stirring every hour.
- Enjoy with an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Ways to make it your own:
- Playing around with the flavour combinations such as basil or mint.
- Crushing in some fresh citrus or serving it in citrus "shells".
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
Fragrant Corn Chowder
Time to welcome the cosy season with a steaming bowl of goodness! This recipe comes to us from the 2023 Green Michelin Star winning restaurant championing all things seasonal and sustainable—Apricity in Mayfair. With this steaming bowl of chowder, their team says "Adieu!" to summer salads and welcomes the arrival of luscious, harvest-time dishes like this one. It will pair beautifully with any punchy extra virgin olive oil like our Spanish one or Croatian ones. Here's the method: Serves 3-4 ...
Don't Drizzle. Pour!: A Q&A with Johnny Madge
In the depths of early lockdown when we really couldn't leave our homes, I was desperate to taste and learn more about olive oils. We had our oil from Crete, and some others I'd been able to find in the UK, but I needed something extra... Enter Johnny Madge, an international judge and one of the leading olive oil "tasters" in the world (more on that later)—and one of the most passionate ones I've met to date. After a guided virtual tasting with a selections of oils he sent us from his favour...
The Ultimate Andalucían Travel Guide
Discover a more "tranquilo" approach to travel with our guide to Spain's sunny south. We're talking what to eat, where to go, and why you’ll love it... “Those who don't have too much of a plan are often the ones that have the best time. When some travellers get frustrated with the late eating hours or shops closing for siesta, I tell them to be a trout, not a salmon.” — Alexis Kerner, international olive oil judge and sommelier based in Sevilla. Andalucía beckons the curious traveller. Co...