Though the pairing ice cream with extra virgin olive oil might sound strange at first—it is the BEST THING EVER. The olive oil makes the ice cream somehow even more creamy, smooth, and decadent.
We've been singing the praises of this combo for a while now, and testing in loads of ways. Typically this has been some store-bought vanilla ice cream with some sea salt flakes over the top. We've also tried it with a range of Hackney Gelato, and even gone vegan. Like magic, the texture of the olive oil takes your standad vegan ice cream to new lush heights.
But then the absolute dream-team that is Head Chef James Toth and the insanely-talented Pastry Chef Laura Petersen from Hackney's Michelin-starred Cornerstone gifted us with this very special recipe.
Here they detail how to make olive oil ice cream from scratch using our single estate EVOO from Crete just like they do at Cornerstone.
And while it might require a little bit more effort than picking up a tub of ice cream at a local grocer, this tastes worlds better and should become a staple of your next dinner party—regardless of the season!
Here's the method:
- In a pan, bring the milk to a simmer with the glucose.
- Whisk the yolks with the sugar together in a bowl.
- Once the milk has simmered, pour it onto the egg yolk mix and whisk until combined.
- Pour the custard back into a clean pan and cook until it coats the back of a spoon. (Exactly 82 degrees celsius if you have a probe.)
- Take off the heat.
- In a slow and steady stream pour in the olive oil while whisking the mix and add the salt.
- Strain through a sieve to make the mix super smooth.
- Churn in an ice cream machine for the best results. Alternatively, freeze in a container stirring every hour.
- Enjoy with an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Ways to make it your own:
- Playing around with the flavour combinations such as basil or mint.
- Crushing in some fresh citrus or serving it in citrus "shells".
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
Greek lemon & egg chicken soup
Called avgolemono (ah-vgo-le-mono), this Greek soup is a knock-out in the winter and can be made in less than 30 minutes. The combination of simply chicken broth, lemon, and egg makes a cream-like soup that’s easy to build upon with more vegetables and herbs, like winter cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and parsley. File this under peak nourishment. Are you feeling under the weather? Have this soup. Just had a baby? Have this soup. Trying to get pregnant? Have this soup. Not feeling great? Have...
Polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil. Everything you need to know.
There’s a lot of talk lately about polyphenols and the important role they play in our overall health. And while they exist in loads of plants, there are some powerful ones specific to virgin olive oils which help to explain why it's been considered a superfood since antiquity. Perhaps it’s spearheaded by a wider post-Covid health movement, or the “Zoe-fication” from new innovations and research in the nutrition space, or maybe it’s just that we’re forever chasing the fountain of youth… What...
Spinach and feta galette
It's pancake day, but we're making it Mediterranean style. This version goes green with spinach, courgette, and feta wrapped up in buckwheat flower with some drizzles of the good stuff. Just in time for Valentine's, fall in love with this gorgeous crepe from our favourite chef of the seas—Elleni Katalanos (the Green Greek Chef). Her thoughtful, colourful way of balancing nutrition and flavour never disappoints. They've been testing different styles in their kitchen this month, but this straw...