Though the pairing ice cream with extra virgin olive oil might sound strange at first—it is the BEST THING EVER. The olive oil makes the ice cream somehow even more creamy, smooth, and decadent.
We've been singing the praises of this combo for a while now, and testing in loads of ways. Typically this has been some store-bought vanilla ice cream with some sea salt flakes over the top. We've also tried it with a range of Hackney Gelato, and even gone vegan. Like magic, the texture of the olive oil takes your standad vegan ice cream to new lush heights.
But then the absolute dream-team that is Head Chef James Toth and the insanely-talented Pastry Chef Laura Petersen from Hackney's Michelin-starred Cornerstone gifted us with this very special recipe.
Here they detail how to make olive oil ice cream from scratch using our single estate EVOO from Crete just like they do at Cornerstone.
And while it might require a little bit more effort than picking up a tub of ice cream at a local grocer, this tastes worlds better and should become a staple of your next dinner party—regardless of the season!
Here's the method:
- In a pan, bring the milk to a simmer with the glucose.
- Whisk the yolks with the sugar together in a bowl.
- Once the milk has simmered, pour it onto the egg yolk mix and whisk until combined.
- Pour the custard back into a clean pan and cook until it coats the back of a spoon. (Exactly 82 degrees celsius if you have a probe.)
- Take off the heat.
- In a slow and steady stream pour in the olive oil while whisking the mix and add the salt.
- Strain through a sieve to make the mix super smooth.
- Churn in an ice cream machine for the best results. Alternatively, freeze in a container stirring every hour.
- Enjoy with an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Ways to make it your own:
- Playing around with the flavour combinations such as basil or mint.
- Crushing in some fresh citrus or serving it in citrus "shells".
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
Female-led lifestyle brands that should be on your radar
From skincare and food to markets and tech, we’re celebrating Women’s Month by showcasing some of the businesses you should be backing at home. Every year, International Women’s Day seems to gather more traction. From a single day to a month-long focus on our hard-earned history, the 2023 theme tackles the concept of why being fair is not enough. We tend to interpret “fair treatment” as equality—everyone getting exactly the same thing. But that would assume everyone begins in the same place...
Why we source from female farmers
Our extra virgin olive oils come from women across the Mediterranean, but what's the reason for that and why are we building a community that champions female producers? To be honest, it all happened quite organically. We didn't set out to only work with women, but it just so happened that our first oil came from our friend Maria in Crete. We also happen to be a female-owned business here in the UK, with me (👋 Sarah) doing our sourcing. As we grew and realised we needed more oil than Maria...
Forget milk. Put olive oil in your coffee.
What's all the hype about olive oil in coffee? This health trend has long been popular as a nutritional hit in the morning, but now it's gone mainstream with celebrities like Beyoncé and chains like Starbucks getting involved. Brace yourselves, folks. Your next coffee order might just be café au...oil? We're no stranger to sipping on olive oil. You might remember our January resolution to take a spoonful of EVOO every morning. And while "bullet-proof" coffee with fats like butter have be...