The Italians do it with pepper. The Spanish add a little sugar. The Sicilians may add some herbs. Martha Stewart even threw her hat into the ring with a version that adds actual chopped green olives. Anyway you want it, it's time to pour fresh EVOO over some orange slices. Both are bursting with flavour this time of year. Serve as a starter or a dessert—depending on your lifestyle. We like to think of the below version as a "salad as a dessert".
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1-2 oranges (depending on variety and size).
- 2-3 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsps sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Fresh mint or basil to garnish
Here's the method:
- Peeling & prepping the orange is the only bit of this that requires effort. To start, use a sharp knife to cut off the top and bottom of the orange.
- Set the orange on a flat end and use the knife to slice down, following the natural curve.
- Then slice it crosswise and remove any seeds or pith. Arrange on plate.
- Sprinkle over your sugar and cinnamon on each slice.
- Top with your Citizens of Soil EVOO.
- Garnish with mint.
- Serve immediately.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Skip the sugar and cinnamon and make it a proper salad with red onion, basil, lemon juice, and chilli flakes. Ground black pepper is also common.
- Lean into the dessert side by adding melted dark chocolate or cream.
Really, do it however you want. The point is—as always—eating something at its peak of freshness with some goodness sprinkled and drizzled on top.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
9 Ways To Be The Perfect Guest
The internet is brimming with manuals and step-by-step guides promising the elusive title of the perfect host. Yet, it’s the guests who hold the key to a successful evening. Remember: never arrive empty-handed, always leave on time, and you'll be sure to secure the next invite. A dinner party is a performance of sorts. Even the most nonchalant ‘Oh, I’m just going to throw something together’ evenings demand meticulous planning. You step into a spotless home, greeted by a beaming couple, and ...
Is the Viral Lemon Olive Oil Elixir Really Worth the Hype?
A TikTok trend celebrating the Mediterranean diet and promising a healthier you. But does it deliver? Autumn’s arrival brings a recurring desire for self-improvement. As the leaves fall, we all seem to echo a familiar battle cry—the pursuit of healthier versions of ourselves. Some seek to eat better, others commit to more exercise, and a few even immerse themselves in an extravagantly-priced juice cleanse. Within the world of nutrition, the villains are ever-changing: one day it’s fat, the ...