A simple, rapid-fire side or starter that'll make you feel so very continental. What was once "peasant food" is now a posh lifestyle choice—but it's always been delicious and nutritious.
Ever since we saw La Buvette in Paris do this dish, we can't quite shake it. It's a near perfect parcel of all the nutrition you need, while visually being surprisingly elegant. I mean, it's beans. But maybe that's just it. Our pals at Bold Bean Co have made us re-think how delicious (and important) beans should be. So here, taking inspiration from La Buvette and this season's hottest green, we give you a stunner of a starter or side to serve at your next dinner party.
(*Pssst. If you're signed up for our newsletter, we've got a cheeky discount for Bold Beans in our May edition.)
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- A jar of Bold Bean Queen Butter Beans (now available at Waitrose)!
- Citizens of Soil extra virgin olive oil
- A bag of leafy spinach
- Lemon zest from a whole lemon
- Sea salt
Here's the method:
- Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to the pan and quickly add in your spinach to wilt.
- Pop in the beans. They're ready to go, so pour over the spinach in the pan and heat. It only takes a few minutes, so once it's hot—spoon onto a plate.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil so it pools around the beans.
- Zest over some lemon.
- Sprinkle some sea salt.
- Get ready to mop up with bread.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Throw in some sautéed garlic or onions.
- Freshen it up with the lemon juice or a bit of pesto.
- Crumble over some feta or diced ham to make it extra rich.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.