There's really no wrong way to do it—which is what we love in a recipe. It can as simple as watermelon, EVOO, and basil, or you can lean into a theme. We've gone Greek (surprise) to balance out the sweetness with the bitterness of the Kalamata olives and oil.
However you prefer it, EAT THIS NOW because the window for these flavours is small. It's also a fact that it tastes miles better when dining al fresco, so look out for those sunny skies, Citizens...
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 small red onion
- A couple of large tomatoes
- 100-200g of olives (Kalamata for this)
- 200g feta
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or balsamic)
- Citizens of Soil extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil
- Handful of fresh mint
- Sea salt & pepper
Here's the method:
- Peel the watermelon.
- Cut the tomatoes, watermelon, and feta into chunks.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Roughly chop the herbs (or just leave whole)
- Squeeze the olives with your fingers or squish on a chopping board with your palm to open them up a bit, or slice in half if that's a faff.
- Put this all in a large, pretty bowl.
- Mix the vinegar and olive oil into a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing mix over the salad and top with sea salt & pepper.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Keep it cool with cucumber or avocado.
- Add in leaves like rocket or watercress for more of a salad vibe.
- Make it spicy with chiles or tajin seasonings, or even fried shallots.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
World's best kept secret: Garlic confit with extra virgin olive oil
A secret condiment that adds beautiful flavour to anything you make? This is it, folks. After a long time of roasting in olive oil, garlic gets tender and flavourful, slightly sweeter and less pungent than its raw version. It makes for a perfect, homemade condiment and spread. And once you make a big batch of it, pop in in an air-tight jar and enjoy for up to a month! You are likely to find yourself adding it to anything you can think of! Some of the favourite ways we have used it include:...
Spring crab, asparagus, & egg salad
This recipe from chef Lewis De Haas of Crispin was made for Citizens of Soil. He continues to bring us bright, colourful meals that really speak to the season. This dish is no exception, with delicate flavours and spring veg making its way to tables now. Here, Lewis gives us a classic egg & asparagus pairing, welcoming the hyper-seasonal green vegetable in a fresh combination which brings in a nice zestiness from the lemon and an indulgent, richness from the egg and EVOO. Sprinkle wi...
Introducing Marianna & our new oil from the Peloponnese
This new drop of outstanding extra virgin olive oil, now live in more than 150 Waitrose stores around the country, is a whole new oil from a whole new region for us. And we just can’t wait to share it with you... At Citizens of Soil, we source small-batch extra virgin olive oils from women across the Mediterranean who are farming in a more sustainable way. We’re trying to not only to excite people around olive oils—but also champion the farmers that do them right. And then expand with more f...