There's really no wrong way to do it—which is what we love in a recipe. It can as simple as watermelon, EVOO, and basil, or you can lean into a theme. We've gone Greek (surprise) to balance out the sweetness with the bitterness of the Kalamata olives and oil.
However you prefer it, EAT THIS NOW because the window for these flavours is small. It's also a fact that it tastes miles better when dining al fresco, so look out for those sunny skies, Citizens...
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 small red onion
- A couple of large tomatoes
- 100-200g of olives (Kalamata for this)
- 200g feta
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or balsamic)
- Citizens of Soil extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil
- Handful of fresh mint
- Sea salt & pepper
Here's the method:
- Peel the watermelon.
- Cut the tomatoes, watermelon, and feta into chunks.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Roughly chop the herbs (or just leave whole)
- Squeeze the olives with your fingers or squish on a chopping board with your palm to open them up a bit, or slice in half if that's a faff.
- Put this all in a large, pretty bowl.
- Mix the vinegar and olive oil into a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing mix over the salad and top with sea salt & pepper.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Keep it cool with cucumber or avocado.
- Add in leaves like rocket or watercress for more of a salad vibe.
- Make it spicy with chiles or tajin seasonings, or even fried shallots.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.