There's really no wrong way to do it—which is what we love in a recipe. It can as simple as watermelon, EVOO, and basil, or you can lean into a theme. We've gone Greek (surprise) to balance out the sweetness with the bitterness of the Kalamata olives and oil.
However you prefer it, EAT THIS NOW because the window for these flavours is small. It's also a fact that it tastes miles better when dining al fresco, so look out for those sunny skies, Citizens...
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 small red onion
- A couple of large tomatoes
- 100-200g of olives (Kalamata for this)
- 200g feta
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or balsamic)
- Citizens of Soil extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil
- Handful of fresh mint
- Sea salt & pepper
Here's the method:
- Peel the watermelon.
- Cut the tomatoes, watermelon, and feta into chunks.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Roughly chop the herbs (or just leave whole)
- Squeeze the olives with your fingers or squish on a chopping board with your palm to open them up a bit, or slice in half if that's a faff.
- Put this all in a large, pretty bowl.
- Mix the vinegar and olive oil into a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing mix over the salad and top with sea salt & pepper.
Ways to make it more your own:
- Keep it cool with cucumber or avocado.
- Add in leaves like rocket or watercress for more of a salad vibe.
- Make it spicy with chiles or tajin seasonings, or even fried shallots.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
9 Ways To Be The Perfect Guest
The internet is brimming with manuals and step-by-step guides promising the elusive title of the perfect host. Yet, it’s the guests who hold the key to a successful evening. Remember: never arrive empty-handed, always leave on time, and you'll be sure to secure the next invite. A dinner party is a performance of sorts. Even the most nonchalant ‘Oh, I’m just going to throw something together’ evenings demand meticulous planning. You step into a spotless home, greeted by a beaming couple, and ...
Is the Viral Lemon Olive Oil Elixir Really Worth the Hype?
A TikTok trend celebrating the Mediterranean diet and promising a healthier you. But does it deliver? Autumn’s arrival brings a recurring desire for self-improvement. As the leaves fall, we all seem to echo a familiar battle cry—the pursuit of healthier versions of ourselves. Some seek to eat better, others commit to more exercise, and a few even immerse themselves in an extravagantly-priced juice cleanse. Within the world of nutrition, the villains are ever-changing: one day it’s fat, the ...