A seasonal recipe spotlighting celeriac, leeks, and warming flavours from our friends at Mother Root…
The festive foods will be coming at you hard, so be sure to find some time to nourish yourself with simple, seasonal meals. Enjoy this served alongside Mother Root's fiery ginger Switchel for some healthy winter warmers.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 large celeriac, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 large floury potato, peeled & diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x vegetable stock cube
- 100 ml double cream (or vegan alternative)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Our single estate extra virgin olive oil from Crete
Here's the method:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and a generous pinch of salt.
- Sweat over a low heat for 10 minutes until translucent but not browning.
- Add the celeriac, leeks, potato and bay leaf and fry over a low heat for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water so that the vegetables are just covered. Add the stock cube and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely soft and cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf and blitz the mixture using a stick blender—you might like to add extra boiled water here if the soup is too thick. Stir through the double cream and season to taste.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of double cream and extra virgin olive oil on top, and some crusty bread.
👀 Watch us geek out about bold, seasonal flavours with the Mother Root founder on their IGTV Live.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
Chocolate olive oil cake
They say that the best way to someone’s heart is through their stomach. So if you were looking to treat someone special in your life (or just yourself!)—this chocolate olive oil cake is the way to go. It is fluffy, yet indulgent. The well-known taste of chocolate sponge pairs beautifully with our Greek olive oil, making it a very delicious dessert. Inspired by Nigella's now famous recipe, this version comes to us from our friends at Montezuma's, who happen to be making some of the most del...
5 reasons to start your day with a spoonful of EVOO
The start of the New Year is for many of us the time to reflect, set our resolutions, and create new habits. Some will meditate, some will start learning a new skill and others… will start taking a spoonful of olive oil in the morning! This oil “trend” started to emerge quite recently with celebs swearing by it. Some, like Kourtney Kardashian, shoot a spoonful of it every other day, while others, like Sophia Loren, take it to the next level by bathing in it. Beyonce consumes it so liberally...
December recipe: Seasoned Martini
It's the end the year, which coincides with our second anniversary as a business. So with that, dear subscribers, we're raising a toast to you. Join us for one of the most popular, most Instagrammed uses of our olive oil: in a martini. The recipe for the one down below comes from our talented friends at SCHOFIELD'S BAR in Manchester. This martini is the perfect year-round tipple for hosting a dinner party as it uses evergreen ingredients, but the spiced hit of black pepper makes it especia...