A seasonal recipe spotlighting celeriac, leeks, and warming flavours from our friends at Mother Root…
The festive foods will be coming at you hard, so be sure to find some time to nourish yourself with simple, seasonal meals. Enjoy this served alongside Mother Root's fiery ginger Switchel for some healthy winter warmers.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 large celeriac, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 large floury potato, peeled & diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x vegetable stock cube
- 100 ml double cream (or vegan alternative)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Our single estate extra virgin olive oil from Crete
Here's the method:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and a generous pinch of salt.
- Sweat over a low heat for 10 minutes until translucent but not browning.
- Add the celeriac, leeks, potato and bay leaf and fry over a low heat for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water so that the vegetables are just covered. Add the stock cube and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely soft and cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf and blitz the mixture using a stick blender—you might like to add extra boiled water here if the soup is too thick. Stir through the double cream and season to taste.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of double cream and extra virgin olive oil on top, and some crusty bread.
👀 Watch us geek out about bold, seasonal flavours with the Mother Root founder on their IGTV Live.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
World's best kept secret: Garlic confit with extra virgin olive oil
A secret condiment that adds beautiful flavour to anything you make? This is it, folks. After a long time of roasting in olive oil, garlic gets tender and flavourful, slightly sweeter and less pungent than its raw version. It makes for a perfect, homemade condiment and spread. And once you make a big batch of it, pop in in an air-tight jar and enjoy for up to a month! You are likely to find yourself adding it to anything you can think of! Some of the favourite ways we have used it include:...
Spring crab, asparagus, & egg salad
This recipe from chef Lewis De Haas of Crispin was made for Citizens of Soil. He continues to bring us bright, colourful meals that really speak to the season. This dish is no exception, with delicate flavours and spring veg making its way to tables now. Here, Lewis gives us a classic egg & asparagus pairing, welcoming the hyper-seasonal green vegetable in a fresh combination which brings in a nice zestiness from the lemon and an indulgent, richness from the egg and EVOO. Sprinkle wi...
Introducing Marianna & our new oil from the Peloponnese
This new drop of outstanding extra virgin olive oil, now live in more than 150 Waitrose stores around the country, is a whole new oil from a whole new region for us. And we just can’t wait to share it with you... At Citizens of Soil, we source small-batch extra virgin olive oils from women across the Mediterranean who are farming in a more sustainable way. We’re trying to not only to excite people around olive oils—but also champion the farmers that do them right. And then expand with more f...