Time to welcome the cosy season with a steaming bowl of goodness!
This recipe comes to us from the 2023 Green Michelin Star winning restaurant championing all things seasonal and sustainable—Apricity in Mayfair. With this steaming bowl of chowder, their team says "Adieu!" to summer salads and welcomes the arrival of luscious, harvest-time dishes like this one. It will pair beautifully with any punchy extra virgin olive oil like our Spanish one or Croatian ones.
Here's the method:
- Grab a sharp knife and remove all the corn kernels from the cob.
- In the first pan, infuse the milk and cream with the bay leaf, thyme and corn cobs on medium heat while you prepare the rest of the veggies.
- In the second pan, melt the butter until foamy and add all the diced vegetables. Sweat them off—without letting them lose their colour!
- After 6-8 minutes, strain the milk and cream into the pan with vegetables. There, add a generous pinch of smoked paprika. Cover and simmer away.
- Once the chowder is thick and rich and the potatoes soft, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with a thick slice of sourdough and a big glug of EVOO!
Ways to make it more your own:
- Those feeling a little adventurous could add some prawns toward the end.
- Frying the vegetables in a spoonful of white miso paste would add some lovely umami flavours.
Are you making this? Share with your fellow citizens. Tag us in your photos on Instagram at @CitizensofSoil.
You may also like...
Greek lemon & egg chicken soup
Called avgolemono (ah-vgo-le-mono), this Greek soup is a knock-out in the winter and can be made in less than 30 minutes. The combination of simply chicken broth, lemon, and egg makes a cream-like soup that’s easy to build upon with more vegetables and herbs, like winter cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and parsley. File this under peak nourishment. Are you feeling under the weather? Have this soup. Just had a baby? Have this soup. Trying to get pregnant? Have this soup. Not feeling great? Have...
Polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil. Everything you need to know.
There’s a lot of talk lately about polyphenols and the important role they play in our overall health. And while they exist in loads of plants, there are some powerful ones specific to virgin olive oils which help to explain why it's been considered a superfood since antiquity. Perhaps it’s spearheaded by a wider post-Covid health movement, or the “Zoe-fication” from new innovations and research in the nutrition space, or maybe it’s just that we’re forever chasing the fountain of youth… What...
Spinach and feta galette
It's pancake day, but we're making it Mediterranean style. This version goes green with spinach, courgette, and feta wrapped up in buckwheat flower with some drizzles of the good stuff. Just in time for Valentine's, fall in love with this gorgeous crepe from our favourite chef of the seas—Elleni Katalanos (the Green Greek Chef). Her thoughtful, colourful way of balancing nutrition and flavour never disappoints. They've been testing different styles in their kitchen this month, but this straw...